Pakora is Indian snack that is made of vegetables and spices in chickpea batter. It’s really flavorful and healthy except it’s deep fried.
This vegan baked pakora is almost oil free and baked in the oven so it’s a lot healthier than the deep fried version. It’s also gluten free.
I used to love deep fried food but I have been quite careful in the last couple of years not to consume too much oil just to stay on the healthier side. I also find the smell of the oil sticking in my home after cooking very annoying.
This vegan baked pakora is so easy to make and healthy but also delicious that goes really well with Indian main meal. It can be served at a party or as a snack.
Please note that the texture and the taste are bit different to deep fried version.
Vegan Baked Pakora
- 1 cup Chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/7 tsp Turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 florets Frozen cauliflower defrosted and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 Onion finely chopped
- Small handful Frozen green peas defrosted
- 1 small Potato grated
- 1 Carrot grated
Yogurt sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp Fresh coriander or parsley washed and chopped
- 120 g Soya yogurt
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and the minced garlic. Stir in some water to create batter that has similar consistency to pancake batter but a little bit thicker. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables then dump them all into the batter, mix well to coat.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 9 (475°F). Prepare an oven tray with well oiled baking sheet. Take scoops of the battered vegetables and drop onto the tray.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, then flip and bake another 10 minutes until golden brown.
- To make the yogurt sauce (optional), mix all of the ingredients in a blender for a few seconds until smooth.
- Serve the pakora with the sauce with the sauce or without. It tastes great when it's warm but you will also enjoy eating this after it cools down completely.