These vegan butternut squash sugarless muffins are really versatile. Because they have no sugar added, you can have them with savoury meal or serve for breakfast or dessert. They are also great for a packed lunch too! The texture of these muffins are crusty like bread on the outside and soft like scones on the inside so they are not quite like sweet muffins.
I was planning making soup for dinner. I usually make vegan savoury carrot muffins to serve with soup but when I saw the butternut squash sitting in the fridge I couldn’t resist myself to make muffins with that instead of using carrot. They came out perfectly crusty on the outside and soft inside that went really well with our soup dinner☺ After dinner I had another muffin for dessert with margarine and strawberry jam that was yummy too.
Simple ingredients for Vegan Butternut Squash Sugarless Muffins
If you want to try this recipe but have no butternut squash, you could replace it with carrot but I highly recommend to use vegan savoury carrot muffins instead.
These muffins are really easy to make! The first thing you need to do is make the flax egg. Mix 1 tbsp flaxseed and 3 tbsp of hot water together in a bowl and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. It will become gloopy like egg. While waiting for the flax egg, preheat the oven to 190°C and grease your muffin tin. Sift the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add in the grated butternut squash and mix well. By now the flax egg should be ready. Add the oil and soy milk into the flax egg and mix well. Pour that wet mixture into the dry and mix well to combine. The batter should be very thick but don’t worry it will make nice, tall muffins! Fill each muffin cup of the muffin tin with the batter using a spoon. You can fill it to the top level, it will not spread as the batter is firm. Top with some pumpkin seeds and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. You can keep them in the fridge for longer storage but you may want to microwave for a few seconds to make them softer before serving☺
Vegan Butternut Squash Sugarless Muffins
- 1 *flax egg
- 25 ml oil I used sunflower oil
- 110 ml soy milk
- 180 g plain flour
- 6 g baking powder about 1 + 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 90 g butternut squash peeled and grated
- some pumpkin seeds for the topping
Click below for ingredient unit conversion
- Make the flax egg. In a bowl mix 1 tbsp ground flaxseed and 3 tbsp hot water and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (gas mark 5). Grease your muffin tin (6 cups).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking power and salt. Add in the grated butternut squash and mix well.
- Into the flax egg, add the oil and soy milk and mix well. Pour this mixture into the dry and mix well until combined but please don't over mix! The mixture should be very thick but this will make the nice tall muffins.
- **Fill each muffin hole of the muffin tin with the mixture with a spoon and top with some pumpkin seeds.
- Put it in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. The baking time can vary depending on the type of your oven so please keep an eye on your muffins!
- Let them cool before serving.