This vegan croutons are super easy to make, very crispy and tasty. It only takes 20 minutes to make this yummy crunchies! It’s a perfect accompaniment to salad or soup and it tastes delicious just as is.
I wanted to make a side to go with the leftover pasta bake for dinner. We had salad with it yesterday so maybe something else?? After thinking for a while I decided to make salad again but with croutons like caesar salad.
As I mentioned before I enjoy cooking with things that I already have in our kitchen so I didn’t bother going to a shop to get a loaf of unsliced bread to make the croutons. I just used 3 slices of seedy bread that we use for toast and sandwich.
The croutons came out really crunchy and pleasantly garlicky (I mean not over powering in its flavour).
After dinner my son was still munching away the croutons as he was chatting about his day☺
I made quick salad and put some of this vegan garlic croutons on top, pour some yogurt dressing on. We all enjoyed the salad and the of course the leftover pasta bake ☻
Vegan Garlic Croutons
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbs oil I used sunflower oil
- 3 slices white or brown bread I used white with seeds. cut into small chunks
- 1/2 salt
- Preheat the oven to 200° (gas mark 7).
- Peel the garlic and crush. Cut the bread into small chunks, roughly 2 cm square.
- Heat the oil in a pot and saute the garlic for about 2 minutes on a lower medium heat. The flavour of the garlic will be extracted and remained in the oil. Turn off the cooker and remove the garlic.
- Put the bread chunks into the garlic oil in the pot and stir well to coat.
- Spread the bread evenly over the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Do not forget to turn over halfway through cooking.
- When it comes out from the oven, leave to cool down. The crouton should be very crispy. Store the leftover in an airtight container up to 3 days.