I baked vegan bakewell tart topped with slices of apple. Yes, it traditionally comes with sliced almond topping but I didn’t have it (let me be honest..) so I used the apple instead☺ However it came out really well and looked nice with the apple topping.
Bakewell tart is an English sweet and it has almond sponge(frangipane) and raspberry jam inside a shortcrust pastry shell. The combination of the moist sponge, jam and the pastry is super nice!
It looks not so easy to make but the process is pretty simple. 1. make the pastry shell, spread the jam over the base. 2. mix the frangipane ingredients in a bowl. 3. put the frangipane inside the pastry shell and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. I made my own pastry shell but you can use a shop bought one if you are in a hurry!
This vegan bakewell tart is moist, super delicious and full of almond flavour. I recommend you to try this if you are looking to make something different. I really enjoy the combination of the crunchy pastry, moist sponge and the jam with my mug of coffee with a drop of my homemade oat cream☺
Vegan Bakewell Tart
- 185 g plain flour
- 1 heap tbsp sugar
- pinch salt
- 110 g vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp soy milk
- 4 tbsp blackcurrant jam raspberry jam or strawberry jam would be nice too.
Frangipane (almond sponge)
- 150 g ground almond
- 60 g plain flour
- 4 tbsp corn flour
- 150 ml oil I used sunflower oil
- 100 g sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 120 ml soy milk
- half apple thinly sliced
To make the shortcrust pastry base
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt with a spoon until combined. Put the margarine and using your fingers rub in the flour. Continue until you get a coarse meal.
- Slowly add the soy milk while mixing with your hand. *Form a ball and wrap in a cling film, put it the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When the dough is rested, *roll the dough into a large circle, transfer and fit into a 8' cake tin (the one with the bottom part comes off) or a tart tin. Spread the jam over the pastry base. Place the tart in the fridge while working with the frangipane.
To make the Frangipane
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground almond. plain flour, corn flour, baking powder and the sugar. Add the oil, soy milk, almond extract and mix until well combined.
- Take the base out of the fridge, put your almond filling on top of the jam and gently spread it out. If you have excess of pastry around the edge, cut off about 0.8 mm above the filling. Smooth out the surface and place some apple slices on top.
- Bake at 180c (gas mark 4) for *50-60 minutes, until the tart is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool down completely before taking out from the tin.