If you are looking to make a vegan side dish that goes well with Indian or south American mains, try this vegan fried plantains! These are delicious, nutritious but quite light in the flavour considering that they are deep fried.
I was planning to cook curry for dinner and wanted to serve it with something like naan or pakoras. I bought some plantain to make plantain curry initially but decided to make a side with that instead. So we have chickpea curry with fried plantains for dinner☺ The fried plantain tasted very yummy when they are dipped in the curry sauce and that made our curry dinner more enjoyable.
What you need to make the vegan fried plantains
- baking powder
- plain flour
- spring onion
- red pepper
- oil for deep frying
If you have no spring onion, you can use ordinary onion but you might not want to add too much of it, maybe about 1/4 of a small onion unless you love a strong onion flavour!
It’s really easy to make these fried plantains. First, you need to blend the spring onion, red pepper, plantains and water in a food processor. Then transfer the content to a mixing bowl and add in the flour, baking powder and salt and combine well. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and let it rest for 20 minutes. Now heat some oil for deep frying. When the oil is ready, drop 5-6 small portions with a spoon and fry them until golden.
Vegan Fried Plantain
- 2 ripe plantains cut into chunks
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 35 g plain flour
- 50 ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 spring onion
- 1/4 red pepper
- oil for deep frying enough amount to deep fry 5 or 6 balls at a time.
Click below for ingredient unit conversion
- In a food processor, pulse the spring onion, red pepper and water for a few seconds. Add in the chopped plantain and blend more until quite smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- In a wok or a sauce pan, heat the oil. You can test to see if the oil temperature is ready by dropping a little drip of the dough into the oil. If it floats immediately, not sinking to the bottom it's ready!
- Scoop 5 or 6 small portions of the dough with a spoon and gently drop into the hot oil, turn the heat to medium. Please do not try frying all of the dough at the same time! Turn them around to cook them evenly.
- When they are golden, take them our on a wire rack or kitchen paper to drain the excess oil. Repeat the step to deep fry the remaining dough. Fried plantains should be crispy in places on the outside.
- Let them cool a little bit before serving.